Posada Navideña Tour: Day 2

Doing homework backstage.  Photos by Abelardo Cisneros.
Yesterday morning we woke up  at 6:30 to get ready for blocking at the theater at 8:00am.  My phone bit the dust Thursday night, so I'm relying on the photos of others until I can get a replacement.   It's been both unnerving and a refreshing change not to have my phone - I'm relieved to know that I can still find my way around a strange city without the step-by-step help of Google navigation (as wonderful as she is at coming up with varied pronunciations for cities such as "Los Angle-lees.")--maybe I won't be kicked off "the island" after all.


Dominique applies the colorful folklorico makeup.   

Following the 9:30am school show, I took Abelardo to Vertex Climbing Center for his first bouldering experience.   The gym was small, but had a decent number of problems for us to work on, and it's pretty hard to beat "$8 Fridays!"  Whoever's setting must have a grudge against beginners, though--almost all of the V1 problems felt easier than the V0s...  A quick stop to grab a burger and then it was back to the hotel to shower and get ready for the run-through before this evening's public performance with live music. I spent most of the run-through doing body maintenance and trying to keep my body warm.  I applied tiger balm to my calves and the back of my right hamstring---ooh, I need to remember to ice that later...I have no idea if I over-worked it climbing or dancing, but it is definitely making me aware of it's presence!

Dalia shows us her hairspray skills. 
The evening show went really well.  The new mask used for Steven Valencia's character of The Devil, in Pastorella is making it quite difficult for him to see while dancing, however.  He ended up in a different spot on the floor towards the end of our choreography, and I accidentally stepped on his hand with my pointe shoe - ouch!  Good thing he's a tough cookie.   Looking forward to going to the formal company party to celebrate and then we begin preparing for shows in Modesto next weekend.  It's going to be a pretty packed week - I have my Nutrition final and my dance students have two holiday recitals before I leave for Modesto--phew!  Now, it is time to catch up on some much needed sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ballet Épaulement.

Preserving The Life of Your Pointe Shoes

Pointe Shoe Prep