Posada Navideña Tour: Day 1

David revamping my Angel costume.  Photo by Theresa Wargo.
Over the next month, I will be documenting my holiday performances with Compañia Mazatlán Bellas Artes. I play "The Archangel" in Abelardo Cisneros' Pastorella ballet for their annual Posada Navideña show.

Last night was about preparations. Before going to bed, I finished preparing my new pointe shoes for wear; ripped out the suede lining, tore a 1/4 of the shank off, pulled out the nail at the heel, roughed up the leather soles to prevent slipping (also managed to rough up my thumb by accident), sprayed the insides with clear lacquer, applied Jet Glue to the inside of the tips and left them in the preheated oven (turned off) to dry overnight.  I took inventory of everything I usually use during the performance.  Since this is my third year dancing the same role, I have made adjustments here and there to simplify what I take with me on the road.  I packed all of my stage makeup, hair supplies, tights, dance shoes, practice clothes, street clothes, and even my climbing shoes and chalk bag to take advantage of the climbing gym down the street from the theater between shows.  After everything was packed, it was time to take a much deserved epsom salts bath to relieve my sore muscles.

Roughed-up pointe shoes and cracked toenails.
This morning I confirmed that I have in fact cracked both of my big toe nails from dancing en pointe.  It doesn't hurt yet, but still, a major bummer.  I applied a tiny amount of Jet Glue (yes, the same cyanoacrylate I used on my pointe shoes) to the crack, to bond the two sections together until the nail grows out. Fun fact: a specialized medical formulation of cyanoacrylate glue is sometimes used in place of stitches!  Just because they did it in "Nam" doesn't mean you should try this at home on an open wound--the non-med glues contain potential skin irritants which can kill skin cells in the bonding process.  Also, don't get it in your eye like that kid at the ballet summer program I went to back in the day...you may escape physically unharmed, but you will be remembered. ;-)

Posada Navideña Information:
Friday, December 8th - Wells Fargo Center for the Arts, Santa Rosa, CA
9:30am School Show
7:00pm Public Performance

Saturday, December 17th - Gallo Center for the Arts, Modesto, CA
7:00pm Public Performance
Sunday, December 18th - Gallo Center for the Arts, Modesto, CA
3:00pm Public Performance

Friday, December 23rd - Three Stages at Folsom Lake College, Folsom, CA
7:30pm Public Performance

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ballet Épaulement.

Preserving The Life of Your Pointe Shoes

Pointe Shoe Prep