Stage Makeup for Performances

With recitals and showcases upon us, the topic I am most asked about is makeup.  Stage makeup differs than street makeup, in that it's main purpose is to add the natural contours and features of your face back in, after the brightness of the stage lights have washed out most performer's features.
David H. Koch Theater, New York City

Former New York City Ballet Soloist Kathryn Morgan has created a lovely step-by-step video for creating a basic stage makeup look for a big theater.  Keep in mind, Kathryn's look is intended for an audience held by a building such as the David H. Koch Theater in New York City, and most students won't be performing in a space nearly this large. For this reason, students will want to apply a toned-down version of the makeup shown in this video.  I find that in smaller auditoriums, blush can easily be used to contour and that false eyelashes--and even undereye liner can be abandoned, so that the students maintain a fresh, youthful look.

Expensive products often work nicer and easier, but are not necessary--I managed to make it through my ballet training with a makeup case of drug store beauty products.  Even some of these, do work better than others, though, so I will include a list of favorites at the end of this post.

Kirsten Dunst as the title character in Marie Antoinette
Always remove your makeup before leaving the theater - going out in public with your ballet face on is a bit unprofessional, and it ruins the illusion and magic of performers being "otherworldly."  Think of it as going undercover as a mortal--if someone truly enjoyed your dancing, they will recognize you without it (this falls under the whole humility as an artist category).  Lastly, if you go out looking like a painted lady, chances are, the looks you get will not be those of artistic awe, no matter how high on cloud nine those pirouettes made you feel...





JEANNE'S PICKS:
I haven't used a primer for stage, though, I'm planning on trying one to see if it makes a noticeable difference.  I do, however make sure that my face has been moisturized before applying stage makeup.

MaxFactor Pan Stik Foundation - I still have a stock of their Pan-Cake, but I think they've discontinued it.  When set with powder, this stuff stays on through your sweat, blood and tears!

Pixi Glow To Go Cosmetic Highlighter - Still chasing an elusive liquid version of this that I used to buy, which I use as a cheeck bone highlighter and eyeshadow primer.

Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder - Cheap, drugstore powder--does the job.

L'Oréal Paris Colour Riche Dual Effects Eyeshadow - These palettes are perfect for eye contouring, as they include light, medium, and dark shades.

L'Oreal® Paris Infallible 24HR Eye Shadow - A great alternative to the more expensive (and amazing) MAC eyeshadows, when you're looking for a more intense color/shade distinction.

Rimmel ScandalEyes Gel Eyeliner - Fantastic product that can be used alone or set with am agled brush sweep of dark eyeshadow.

L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara - I love the applicator on this mascara, and it adds fibers to the ends of your lashes to extend their length.

Ardell False Eyelashes and Clear Glue - This drugstore brand has a variety of sizes and styles of eyelashes, to suit your needs.  I like the clear glue, because I get paranoid that I'll smudge the the black color and make a mess of my makeup--other friends love the black because it can double as eyeliner on a lazy day.

Loreal Lip Liner 765 in Always Red - I line and fill in my lips with liner before applying lipstick.

NYC Color Ultra Moist Lip Wear in Retro Red - Fantastic color for stage: RED RED RED. Blot, re-apply, and blot again.

MAC Cosmetics- If you have $ to splurge, I highly recommend  MAC - they're staying power and bright, visible hues are unbeatable!  I particularly like they're Mac Red color lipstick for stage!

Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover - inexpensive, and really takes it all off, including the eyelash glue.

Neutrogena Make-up Remover Cleansing Towelettes - These are amazing for taking your makeup off quickly, so that you can rejoin the human race following a performance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ballet Épaulement.

Preserving The Life of Your Pointe Shoes

Pointe Shoe Prep