Tap: The Long Lost Love For The Dance I Never Studied

"Do you tap?"  "No."  I can feel the regret sink to the bottom of my throat every time I'm asked.  Oh sure, I've faked it--pretty well, I might add--and on a professional stage!  It's not that I didn't like tap dance as a kid or even that I wasn't exposed to it.  Quite the opposite--my mother made sure I owned, or had at least seen every single Shirley Temple movie in existence by the time I was six years old, and I complied quite happily.  To this day, some of those song and dance numbers come back to haunt me with a classic nostalgia and I find myself looking them up on YouTube for a trip down memory lane--and sometimes just to marvel at the musical genius of songs that, for whatever reason, seem to have faded into obscurity.

It's not that I wasn't exposed to any contemporary tap dancers either--the late Gregory Hines would often rehearse at my home studio when he visited L.A., and while we couldn't always see the rehearsals, my friends and I would always marvel at the machine-gun percussion that would emanate from behind closed doors as we put on our pointe shoes.

I guess the simple answer is, as a child, I was never really one to do something halfway.  I knew that I wouldn't enjoy something unless I devoted proper time to practicing and perfecting it.  I had already bestowed this priority on my ballet studies and knew that if I wanted to excel at my chosen dance style, I didn't have the time to properly learn tap.

Lately, I've been feeling the urge to try to make room for finally learning the dance I ignored earlier in my life.    I feel it would only make sense as a Musical Theater artist and Swing dancer to finally give this dance the respect it deserves.  Who knows?--maybe Tap and I will "go together" as well as George Murphy and Shirley Temple in this clip from Little Miss Broadway...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ballet Épaulement.

Preserving The Life of Your Pointe Shoes

Pointe Shoe Prep