The More I Move, The More I Learn: The Benefits of Cross-Training

When I was growing up, my parents provided me with opportunities to try many different after-school activities. I was an active kid, eating up everything: bike riding, jump-roping, roller skating, soccer, ballet - anything, so long as it tuckered me out.  As my love for ballet grew more focused, time for my adolescent cross-training seemed to dwindle.  I was assured by my instructors that all I needed was ballet and was even encouraged to pursue being excused from Physical Education at my academic school on the belief that running was an undesirable activity for ballet training.  This was the old way of thinking.

Nearly two decades and a professional dance career later, I'm back to my original habits.  I still love taking ballet, Pilates and yoga classes, but I've gotten heavily involved in social dances such as Argentine Tango and Lindy Hop.  I'm an avid cyclist and have recently taken up indoor rock climbing and slacklining--I tried the roller skates a few years ago, but we didn't mesh as well as we did when I was six.

What I have discovered about taking on all of these different activities is that they compliment each other so well - where one activity puts heavy stress, another balances it.  Diversifying one's physical activity is not detrimental, in fact, I have found it to be highly beneficial.  My Lindy Hop has improved from my focus on my Argentine Tango, despite the fact that these dances use partner connection in very different ways.  My cycling has gotten better from my increased upper body strength from climbing.  Each activity challenges your body and your brain in new ways, which for me, is a huge motivator to keep coming back for more punishment.  Cross-training in a variety of sports has also kept me relatively injury-free and helped with the healing of old injuries.  Because of these activities, I am able to stay in shape enough to even do a few professional dance gigs here and there, without having to re-train in ballet six days a week.

From my own experience, I encourage my students and fellow movers to cross-train in every aspect of their life: diversify!  Now who wants to go try some AcroYoga with me?

Some articles which inspired me today:
Body Shop 52: Ballet On Belay, Urban Climber Magazine
Big Men Stretching, Slate
Cross-Training And Injury Prevention

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ballet Épaulement.

Preserving The Life of Your Pointe Shoes

Pointe Shoe Prep